Opto22 groov Edge Appliance
The groov Edge Appliance (groov Box) is Opto 22’s Internet of Things (IoT) and operator interface appliance that provides visualization, data handling, and connectivity to automation systems, software, databases, and devices of all kinds.
Visualization: With browser-based groov View, easily build an operator interface to see and interact with data from sensors and automation systems, cloud applications, databases, web services, and more. Securely view the interface you build on any brand device, from a smartphone to a computer to a web-enabled big-screen TV. groov View includes user authorization, trending, events, and notifications.
Data Handling: The key to IoT usefulness is getting the data out of where it’s trapped and into the systems and software where it’s needed. Built into the groov Box are Node-RED, an IoT rapid application development environment, and RESTful APIs to groov Data Stores. Add a groov Enterprise license and also use Ignition Edge® with OPC-UA drivers to Allen-Bradley® and Siemens® PLCs, plus MQTT/Sparkplug for efficient and secure industrial data communications.
Connectivity: Connect to all kinds of devices and systems to monitor and control them and move data between them:
- Modbus®/TCP devices and Opto 22 groov EPIC and SNAP PAC controllers
- Cloud applications, IoT platforms, on-premises databases, and external web services
- (Requires a groov Enterprise license) Connect to Allen-Bradley and Siemens PLCs using OPC UA. Use the MQTT transport protocol with Sparkplug payload to publish and subscribe data from devices connected to the groov Box.
A self-contained, industrially hardened appliance, the groov Box includes two independent 1-GB Ethernet interfaces and USB expansion for wireless LAN interfaces. The Box has a solid-state fanless design with no moving parts, a wide 0-70 °C (32-158 °F) operating temperature range, and a compact footprint.
groov brings data from process control, OEM machines,
manufacturing and building systems, and the Internet of Things (IoT) to
the people and systems that need it.
NOTE: For an IIoT project, you may also want to consider a groov EPIC processor (GRV-EPIC-PR1) on a chassis zero (GRV-EPIC-CHS0, with no I/O slots). groov EPIC has a larger form factor and is more expensive, but offers more RAM, secure shell access, a more recent version of Node-RED, and an integral color touchscreen. Compare groov products.
What’s in the Box
The groov Box edge appliance includes:
- groov View for building and using your own custom operator interface to the sensors, data, devices, and systems you need to see, monitor, and control.
- Node-RED, an open-source, multi-platform software tool for wiring together databases, cloud applications, and APIs to produce IoT applications quickly and inexpensively. Learn more about Node-RED.
- Ignition Edge, a product of Inductive Automation®, providing an internal OPC-UA server and drivers plus an MQTT Transmission module with Sparkplug payload. More about OPC and MQTT in IoT applications.
- groov Admin for configuring networks and security, backing up and restoring projects, using Node-RED, configuring Ignition Edge, updating groov software, and viewing system status.
With all these IoT tools in the same box, your IoT application is easier to configure and security is streamlined.
GROOV-AR1-BASE provides a groov View base license, which lets you monitor and control one or more of the following:
- Modbus/TCP devices
- Opto 22 groov EPIC processors and SNAP PAC controllers (SNAP PAC R-series, S-series, and SoftPAC)
- groov Data Stores (databases, cloud services, and APIs can write data to or read data from Data Stores)
- OptoEMU Sensor energy monitoring units
No intermediary servers or protocol converters are required.
Price includes groov Box and power supply, all groov software, and one year of updates. Annual maintenance for successive years is required to obtain updates after the first year. Product Support is free.